In this article I collected some of the most notable Twitter books for various reading groups, along with some important historical facts and the possible future of the platform.
A new chapter began in the life of twitter when Elon Musk purchased the social media platform for $44 billion in 2022 October. The move was widely seen as a positive step for the company, which has been struggling in recent years.
Musk has a history of successes with his other businesses, and many believe that he will be able to turn twitter around. Only time will tell if this purchase will be a success or not, but it is definitely an interesting development in the world of social media.
But first let’s see the brief historical background of Twitter.
What Are The Most Important Milestones of Twitter?
- Jack Dorsey set up the first ever Twitter account on March 21, 2006. The social media platform quickly took off, with users flocking to the site to share their thoughts in 140 characters or less.
- The hashtag system was proposed by Chris Messina in 2007 as a way to categorize tweets and make them easier to search. Hashtags are used to mark keywords or topics in a tweet, and can be added anywhere in the text of the message.
- In 2008 Jack Dorsey stepped down as CEO, replaced by the other co-founder Evan Williams. In this year the platform reached 1 billion Tweets milestone, and within a year Twitter quintupled this number.
- In 2010 Twitter launched it’s advertisement opportunity, which enabled promoters to push their tweets in the front of visitors.
- In 2012 the platform introduced the commonly known Twitter logo (as we recognize it today)
- Barack Obama attributed his 2012 election success in part to the social media site. Obama went on to say that he thinks social media can be a “powerful force for good,” but only if it’s used responsibly. He also cautioned against echo chambers and filter bubbles, saying that people need to be exposed to different points of view in order to grow and learn.
- In 2013, Twitter went public. The social media platform had been growing steadily in popularity for years and investors were eager to get in on the action. However, not all was rosy for Twitter after going public. The company has struggled to maintain consistent growth and profitability, and its stock price has been volatile.
- In 2015 Jack Dorsey returned as CEO for a 6 years period, in 2021 Parag Agrawal replaced him in the seat.
- Twitter increased the character limit of tweets from 140 to 280 in 2017. This was a long-awaited change for many users, who had been limited to just 140 characters for years. The new limit allows for more expression and creativity in tweets.
- In 2022 October, Elon Musk buys the platform and dismisses the Twitter Board, just after the purchase. He envisions an alternate future for the platform.
What Are The Top Books on Twitter?
Tyrants on Twitter, by David L. Sloss (2022)
Twitter has become a key battleground for information warfare, with Russia and China using the platform to disseminate propaganda and disinformation.
The Russian operation on Twitter is particularly sophisticated, using a network of bots and human trolls to spread pro-Kremlin messages and sow discord. The Chinese government, meanwhile, is using Twitter to shape global perceptions of China, amplifying state-run media narratives.
The author’s findings underscore the need for transnational regulation of social media platforms like Twitter. Without such regulation, these platforms will continue to be used as tools of oppression by tyrants around the world. Maybe Elon Musk would also introduce a new policy in this respect.
Recommended for those who have a concern on free speach on social media like Twitter
Twitter and Tear Gas: The Power and Fragility of Networked Protest, by Zeynep Tufekci (2017)
In his book Twitter and Tear Gas, Zeynep Tufekci introduces a completely new viewpoint on the impact of social media. Tufekci argues that social media has had a profound impact on the way we protest and organize.
The author explains how social media has allowed protesters to connect with each other and share information instantaneously. However, he also warns that social media can be fragile and easily censored by authorities.
Tufekci’s book is a must-read for anyone interested in understanding the role of social media in contemporary politics.
Recommended for those who are interested in social implications of Twitter
Hatching Twitter: A True Story of Money, Power, Friendship and Betrayal, by Nick Bilton (2013)
In March of 2006, Jack Dorsey sent out the first tweet ever: “just setting up my twttr.” Little did he know that this simple message would give birth to one of the most influential social media platforms in history. In just a few short years, Twitter would grow from a small startup into a global phenomenon with millions of users.
This Twitter book tells the story of Twitter’s early days, from its humble beginnings in San Francisco to its explosive growth in the years that followed. Weaving together interviews with key players, original research, and never-before-seen documents, Hatching Twitter chronicles the dramatic birth of a new medium and shows how it has forever changed the way we communicate.
Recommended for those who want to read about the history of Twitter
Twitcher Secrets – Twitter Growth, Creation & Monetization OS, by Olena Shcherba (2021)
Are you an advanced Twitter user looking for ways to take your usage to the next level? If so, this Twitter ebook guide is for you.
In this guide, we’ll share some of the best tips and tricks for getting the most out of Twitter. We’ll also show you how to use Twitter to drive traffic to your website or blog, build relationships with other users, and much more.
So if you’re ready to take your Twitter usage to the next level, keep reading. You’re sure to find some helpful tips and tricks in this guide.
Recommended for those who want to monetize their Twitter presence (advanced users and marketeers)
Twitter For Dummies, by Laura Fitton, Anum Hussain and Brittany Leaning (2014)
Hence the book isn’t a new and doesn’t follow all the new features of the platform it’s still a relevant resource to learn from. If you’re new to Twitter and feeling overwhelmed, Twitter For Dummies is the Twitter book for you.
This step-by-step guide covers everything from signing up and creating your profile to Tweeting, Retweeting, and using hashtags. You’ll also learn how to use Twitter to find news and information, connect with friends and colleagues, and build your professional brand.
Whether you’re a personal user or a business owner, Twitter For Dummies will help you get the most out of this popular social media platform.
Recommended for those who are completely new to Twitter
What Is The Future of Twitter?
Twitter has become one of the most popular social networking platforms on the internet. With over 396 million active users, it is safe to say that Twitter has a significant social impact, not just at the personal level, but also at the global scale.
Twitter allows people from all over the world to connect with each other and share information in real-time. This has made it an invaluable tool for news organizations and individual users alike. In recent years, Twitter has been used to help organize protests and movements, as well as to spread awareness about important issues.
But something happened between 2012 and 2022, Twitter and other social media platforms are starting to introduce policies against free speech. This is a major shift for these companies, which have traditionally been seen as bastions of free speech. The new policies come in response to the growing use of social media for hate speech, fake news and harassment.
The line between fake news and free speech is a difficult one to draw. On the one hand, people have a right to share their opinions and ideas freely. On the other hand, false and misleading information can cause serious harm.
Twitter has taken some steps to address this issue, such as introducing new labeling tools that identify disputed or misleading content. However, it remains to be seen whether these measures will be effective in curbing the spread of fake news on the platform.
Elon Musk’s entering into this social media war, would definitely go into a definite direction. He also has much larger scale vision than maintaining a social media platform for everyone. Musk is a visionary entrepreneur who has changed the way we think about space travel, electric cars, and renewable energy. Now he want’s to shift how we think about social media. In one of his tweets he said that Twitter is part of his vision project X.
Twitter is an accelerant to fulfilling the original http://X.com vision
Elon Musk (October 5, 2022)
Project X is Elon’s “super app” vision, which includes not just communication (as in case of other social media) but also “living” on and with the platform. Most likely we will see a payment, possible crypto payment service on the platform, and Twitter may also introduce a metaversum for younger users.
Final Thoughts on Twitter Books
My list on Twitter books include a wide range of reading, I hope you find something that peaks your interest. Without doubts we will see much news about Twitter in the coming months, so it is always good to rake a closer look on the topic.
No matter if you are new or you are an avid Twitter user, you can pick up something to read from the above book list.
The post Top 6 Twitter Books on the Most Controversial Social Media (2022) appeared first on Joelbooks.